Teens N Fitness: Wellness Agents of Change
Project Budget: $10,000
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
The goal of this project is to empower students from Huntington Park Senior High to become agents of change by coaching them to create health and wellness messages for their peers and community. Teens N Fitness (TNF), developed by the Diabetes & Obesity Program at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles in partnership with the after school program just keep livin Foundation, will be used to reach this goal.
TNF, designed for high school students living in low income communities, includes games, interactive activities and discussions intended to teach and reinforce lessons about nutrition, explore how mental health influences health and wellness and promote physical activity.
The sessions demonstrate how environment and policies contribute to obesity and diabetes in their communities. We will:
- Facilitate TNF with students;
- Challenge youth to create social marketing messages and dissemination materials reflecting TNF messages to be presented at their high school, healthcare settings and other community sites;
- Maximize the use of games and hands on learning, such as cooking challenges, to impart and reinforce messages;
- Train high school students and undergraduate and masters level public health interns to co-facilitate sessions;
- Build youth’s capacity and motivation to share messages with families.